SICKLE CELL FOUNDATION ENDOWMENT FUND
Sickle Cell Foundation Nigeria (SCFN) is a non-governmental and non-profit organization dedicated to the proper care and control of sickle cell disorder in Nigeria.
The Foundation was registered in 1994 to fill a yawning gap existing in our health care system by focusing on sickle cell disorder. Statistics show that over 150,000 babies are born every year in Nigeria with sickle cell disorder and about 40 million Nigerians are healthy carriers of the sickle cell gene. This makes Nigeria by far the country with the highest burden of the disorder in the world; yet little attention is paid to the condition by governments at all levels.
SCFN was therefore established to fill the evident gap, addressing various aspects of sickle cell management and control. These include issues such as treatment, capacity building, research, policy development, implementation and monitoring and evaluation.
Below are some of the services SCFN provides:
- The foundation supervises dedicated sickle cell clinics in Lagos, Edo, Delta and Kano States and plans to expand to other states of the federation – funds permitting.
- Daily genetic counseling for individuals, couples and families
- Laboratory (Haematology) services – including those specific for the accurate diagnosis of sickle cell disorder (there are numerous cases of inaccurate diagnosis or inaccurate haemoglobin test results in Nigeria)
- Pre-Natal Diagnosis of sickle cell disorder in the unborn child through sampling and DNA testing of the developing placenta
- Treatment of chronic leg ulcers (some persons with sickle cell disorder develop sores on the legs that fail to heal or that keep recurring; they are a common cause of stigmatization)
- TCD (Transcranial Doppler) scanning: this procedure is available daily and helps determine the risk of stroke among children with SCD, so that stroke prevention measures are promptly instituted.
- Exchange Blood Transfusion
- Joint Replacement Surgery for AVN (Avascular Necrosis) or degeneration of the hip or shoulder joints (this occurs in some people with SCD)
- Stem Cell Transplantation (Bone Marrow Transplantation)
- Training of Genetic Counselors, nurses and doctors on SCD
- Research eg Platelet Gel for Treatment of Leg Ulcers
THE ENDOWMENT FUND FOR SUSTAINABLE FUNDING
In order to continue to carry out the afore-listed programmes (and more), SUSTAINABLE FUNDING for the foundation is vital. This is where the Endowment Fund comes in:
An endowment fund is a permanent, self-sustaining source of funding established by a foundation that makes consistent withdrawals from invested capital. The capital in endowment funds, often used by universities, nonprofit organizations, churches and hospitals, is generally utilized for specific needs or to further an organization’s operating process. Endowment funds are typically funded entirely by donations that are deductible for the donors.
Endowment assets are invested and each year, a portion of the value of the fund is paid out to support the fund’s purpose, and any earnings in excess of this distribution are used to build the fund’s market value
It is in this regard that Sickle Cell Foundation Nigeria has created an Endowment Fund in order to raise and grow funds that will meet the foundation’s objectives of sustainable management and control of sickle cell disorder.
The Endowment Fund shall be managed by Meristem Trustees Limited in line with the provisions of the legally binding Trust Deed. The funds raised shall be carefully invested in various asset classes that will yield maximum return both in short term and long term basis. Thus the fund can grow and provide support for its designated purposes in perpetuity.
We hereby invite you to join us in this worthy national cause by supporting the work of Sickle Cell Foundation Nigeria through your (tax-deductible) donations to the Endowment Fund.
BENEFITS OF DONATING TO THE FUND
- You have always wanted to support or give to a charity, but you are not sure how to go about it; this platform is ready-made for you; it allows you to give back to society in a laudable way
- You have always wanted to support or give to a charity, but you are not sure WHICH or WHO to TRUST; Sickle Cell Foundation Nigeria has an impeccable reputation as a credible NGO and Meristem (who will be managing the fund), is a foremost, reputable and credible Trust Company. You can therefore rest assured that your donations are safe and will be put to good use. Credibility, professionalism and longevity of the Fund are equally assured.
- Your donations are tax-deductible
- Given the widespread prevalence of sickle cell disorder in the country, the reflected benefit to our donors will be incalculable; you will be leaving a legacy and indelible prints in the hearts of persons with sickle cell and their families as well as in the sands of time.
Foreign donations are allowed and converted to NAIRA
DONATIONS TO THE ENDOWMENT FUND SHOULD BE PAID INTO:
Account Name: Sickle Cell Foundation Endowment Fund
Account No: 0443007775
Bank: Ecobank Plc
For non-financial donations please contact us on email@example.com and 234-1-7621522, 234-803 584 6666, 234-8100002003