Once again, Nigeria will be joining the global community to commemorate World Sickle Cell
Day (WSCD) on June 19th – as designated by the United Nations. Sickle Cell Foundation Nigeria (SCFN) is ready to support
Lagos State in ensuring effective observance of the day – mindful of the fact that World Sickle
Cell Day serves as a target date for all governments – Federal and State – to ensure that systems
and mechanisms are put in place for the control of Sickle Cell Disorder in the country and to
continue to monitor and evaluate progress made.
In commemorating the day this year, the theme: “SICKLE CELL DISORDER:
IMPORTANCE OF SELF CARE” has been selected.
Research has shown that one of the challenges in the fight against sickle cell in Nigeria is ignorance and lack
of adequate information in the Nigerian population about the disorder. As
you are already aware, SCFN organises activities yearly to commemorate the WSCD. This year,
we are organizing a number of activities to mark the day, including the following:
(1) A Schools’ Quiz on “Awareness & Knowledge about Sickle Cell Disorder” for Senior Secondary Students. The aim is to ensure that school-age youth are adequately informed about sickle cell disorder and thereby serve as change agents at the community level.
They will also be knowledgeable about sickle cell and its mode of inheritance long before they start their families.
Date: Tuesday, 31st May 2022
Union Bank Hall, National Sickle Cell Centre, Ishaga Rd, Idi-Araba, Surulere, Lagos.
Time: 10.00am – 2.00pm
2) Community Outreach with Free Genotype and Blood Group Testing in order to create awareness and knowledge of Sickle Cell disorder at the grassroot level.
Date: Thursday 9th June 2022
Venue: Igando, Alimosho Local Government
Time: 9.00am – 4.00pm
The community outreach will comprise:
3) The RED UMBRELLA WALK: This is to carry the Sickle Cell Campaign on the road, raising awareness everywhere.
Start Point: Teslim Balogun Stadium, Surulere, Lagos
Through: Western Avenue to the National Theatre, Iganmu, Lagos
End Point: Back to Teslim Balogun Stadium, Surulere, Lagos.
Time: 8am – 12pm
4) Annual Sickle Cell Lecture: A comprehensive lecture on sickle cell disorder.
THEME: SICKLE CELL DISORDER: IMPORTANCE OF SELF CARE
Featuring important topics such as:
DATE: Tuesday 21St June 2022
(1) Union Bank Hall, National Sickle Cell Centre, Ishaga Rd, Idi-Araba, Surulere, Lagos.
Time: 10 am Prompt